The origins of Garaguso are very ancient, so much so that according to findings and studies it seems that the locality was already inhabited in the proto-historic and then Lucanian times. Among the most important finds, there is the one called Temple of Garaguso, a sculptural work in marble now preserved in the Provincial Archaeological Museum of Potenza.

In the historic centre, the Palace of the Duke of Revertera with a three-arched loggia. The Mother Church dedicated to San Nicola di Mira has two naves: in the central one there is a canvas depicting the Assumption of the Virgin (1761), the work of frà Deodato da Tolve, and a 14th century stoup; in the side nave we can see the statue of San Gaudenzio, protector of Garaguso.